- Exercise & Eat Healthy: This is the biggest thing that you can do that will directly affect your sleep. When I am eating loads of sugar my Anxiety goes up and it’s extremly difficult for me to fall asleep when I can’t stop overthinking things. If I start overthinking things and can’t fall asleep I have to resort to eating something or counting my breaths to stop thinking.
- Use the “Night Shift” function on your phone: 2 hours before going to bed I turn this function on my iphone which makes your screen more yellow than blue which is better for your eyes and doesn’t mess with your natural melatonin release. You can also install and app on your computer for this.
- Invest in a great mattress: I am embarrassed to say that my husband and I spent 10 years on the same mattress… the last year of its life was painful and I was waking up with back pain way too often. I contacted TUFT & NEEDLE because I found some amazing reviews online and I loved that they have affordable, high quality mattresses. So they shipped me the mattress (see below to watch the unboxing video) and to be completely honest I thought it was too firm for about the first month and then it slowly started to break in. I’ve had it for 3 months now and I LOVE it and love climbing into bed. (Don’t worry they have a 90 day return policy and they will come pick it up and donate it if you don’t like it).
- Train your children to sleep: If mama doesn’t get enough sleep then I’m not a nice mama! So sleep training my kids is actually doing them a huge favor not to mention they sleep well on their own the rest of their childhood. I love when they climb into my bed for snuggles around 7:30 am but I’m NOT okay with being woken up in the middle of the night for no reason other then they don’t know how to sooth themselves to sleep.
- Start winding down after your kids go to bed: For me this means NOT working for more then an hour or else I get going and can’t fall asleep for hours. Sometimes I take a bath, read a book or watch a show with my husband.
I hope that some of these tips can help you achieve better sleep! See the below video to watch the unboxing of my TUFT & NEEDLE mattress!